Health Careers is the information service about the range of 350 or so careers available in health.
We’re part of Health Education England and our aim is to support people in education and at all stages of their career to discover more about the health roles that are available, and how to get in and get on.
The Health Careers team works from various locations across England and we:
- provide this comprehensive Health Careers website that has detailed information about a huge range of health roles
- run a contact centre where people can talk to or email an adviser to find out about different health careers. Get in touch!
- provide the Step into the NHS service specifically for young people to encourage them to consider a career in health
- publish a range of printed materials for use at careers and other events
- attend big national careers events to promote health careers
- produce a number of videos to show what it’s like to work in different jobs
- provide timely updates through Twitter and Facebook
The Health Careers website
The site launched in autumn 2015 and we’re constantly working with experts in the field and our stakeholders to update and add new content, improve the site and respond to users’ feedback.
Have a look around the website and click on "Is there anything wrong with this page?" to let us know what you think.
Not a recruitment site
It’s important to note that this website sets out information about what it’s like to work in different health roles but isn’t a recruitment website. So we don’t advertise vacancies on this site.
If you’re looking for a job or apprenticeship see the information on our Looking for a job page and follow the links for more information.
The About section has lots of useful information about what it’s like to work in a health role, whether that’s in the NHS, a local authority, national Government, voluntary or community sectors.
It also has up-to-date information about pay for all health staff, wherever they’re based.
Did you know there are approximately 350 roles available in health? Split into 15 categories, our Explore roles pages cover everything from paramedic, doctor, nurse and healthcare scientist, to porter, medical secretary, health trainer, driver, pharmacy assistant and gardener!
Each set of role pages describe:
- what the role involves
- the training required, if any
- where the role could lead
We also have hundreds of real-life stories from people doing the roles we describe.
Once you’re in Explore roles, you can use our compare roles button to see a snapshot of information about up to three roles to help you choose which one might suit you.
Our I am … section is the one to visit whether you’re still at school, thinking about getting a job in health, considering going to university, needing support during your studies, currently working in health, or don’t have a health-related degree but would like to get into a health career.