Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience (IoPPN) Summer School
- Start Time:
- 4 July 2016 8:00am
- End Time:
- 8 July 2016 6:00pm
- Hosted by:
- Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience - King's College
The Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience (IoPPN) offers a free, one-week summer school in the heart of South London. It aims to inspire and enthuse those considering a career in psychiatry, and provide an insight into the innovative, exciting and rewarding field of clinical and academic psychiatry. Application deadline: 24 March 2016 - 5pm
Who is it for?
The IoPPN summer school is open to high-achieving, dedicated and motivated medical students and Foundation Year doctors. There is particular focus on days 3, 4 and 5 for Foundation Year doctors who have limited study leave provision.
What does the summer school offer?
- key lectures, seminars and debates on cutting-edge and controversial topics in psychiatry with leading academics and clinicians in the field working at the IoPPN, South London and the Maudsley NHS Trust (SLaM), and the Royal College of Psychiatrists (RCPsych)
- opportunities to meet and network with internationally renowned researchers and clinicians, including Professor Sir Simon Wessely (President of RCPsych) and Professor Sir Robin Murray (Professor of Psychiatric Research, IoPPN)
- patient and carer accounts, ward visits, speed-dating and book club. Interactive workshops giving advice and guidance towards core training (CT1) and academic training application processes, interview skills and ‘a day in the life of a CT1 in psychiatry’
- drinks and canapé reception at the RCPsych
- accommodation and meals: The IoPPN summer school offers the unparalleled opportunity to stay with a psychiatrist in their home, if required. Refreshments and lunch are provided throughout the week