Is a health career right for you?
If you are currently out of work or looking to change careers and are interested in a job or career in health, you may find the links on this page useful.
Did you know there are more than 350 different roles in health? You can work in the NHS, a charity or a partnership between the NHS and a local authority department, such as social care or children’s services, and there's a wide range of roles in private healthcare too.
Whatever your background, previous work experience or qualifications there will be a full-time or part-time healthcare role for you.
Here are just some of the reasons you may wish to move into healthcare:
- perhaps you are interested in working directly with patients or helping to support those staff that do
- perhaps you have knowledge you could bring to working in healthcare science; in a laboratory testing role, at the cutting edge of medical research or using and maintaining state of the art equipment
- you could work in a range of settings including hospitals, clinics or in the community alongside social care workers
- you may wish to use previous experience and qualifications in areas such as administration, accountancy or management
- or perhaps you would like to use your practical skills, such as catering, gardening or plumbing in a different workplace
Find out more about working in health
Follow the links below to help inform your thinking about a career in health.
- changing your career
- exploring your options
- identifying your transferable skills
- using your caring skills
- answering questions about different aspects of work to generate career suggestions, using our Find your career in health tool
- contacting the National Careers Service to discuss your plans