Entry requirements (Patient Transport Service call handler)
There are no set entry requirements to become a PTS call handler but employers expect good standards of literacy, numeracy and IT skills. Some may ask for qualifications such as GCSEs, NVQs or equivalent.
Employers often ask for relevant work experience. Even where this is not specified, it would be an advantage if you have worked in a call centre or other customer service role.
A PTS call handler needs to be:
- able to talk to people at all levels
- caring and reassuring
- able to follow procedures
- able to deal with people who may be distressed or aggressive
- calm under pressure
A PTS call handler needs:
- good communication skills
- good organisational skills
- IT skills
- teamwork skills