Compare roles in health

Not sure where to start with the hundreds of NHS careers? Use our compare roles section to get bite-size information on the entry requirements and training, pay and conditions, prospects and skills needed of up to three roles. If there is something that you think you could do, then get more in-depth information on the role.

Don't forget, you can also save your role comparisons by registering with us.  

  1. Family and systemic psychotherapist

    Family and systemic psychotherapists work with groups and families to assess and treat a wide range of psychological and relationship difficulties in emotional, mental and physical health.

    You must have a clinical qualification such as clinical psychology, social work, psychiatry or mental health nursing to train and practise as a family and systemic psychotherapist. You will also need substantial work experience that relates to the field of psychotherapy and an ability to reflect on your own life and relationships.
    Newly qualified family and systemic psychotherapists are often employed at Band 7 on the NHS Agenda for Change pay scale. You may be able to progress to higher pay bands with further specialisation or in leadership and management positions.
    You will need to be able to reflect on your own life and relationships.
    You could specialise in areas such as eating disorders, or child and adolescent mental health. You could progress into a role where you supervise, lead or train other psychological professionals or undertake research.
Make a comment or report a problem with this page

Help us improve