Securing funding

If you are a clinician with an interesting research question, the first thing to do is talk to academics already working in this field. This might be at your hospital or university or elsewhere.

Try to find out what else is going on in that field, and talk to a mentor who will be able to support you through an application process. The Academy of Medical Sciences can offer help in finding a mentor.

Competition for fellowships and bursaries is tough, but there are many opportunities available.

Depending on your career stage you could apply for an NIHR post. These are advertised and you apply as you would a training post. You are paid a salary for these posts.

In Scotland the Scottish Clinical Research Excellence Development Scheme (SCREDS) runs an integrated career and development pathway which offers opportunities including clinical lectureships, out of programme research and appointments for advanced academic career development.

There are parallel schemes in Wales and Northern Ireland – the Welsh Clinical Academic Track (WCAT) and the Northern Ireland Clinical Academic Training.

Make a comment or report a problem with this page

Help us improve