Senior academic posts

You can apply for senior academic posts once you have finished your specialist training and have been awarded your Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT). Or after 5 years of post-doctorate clinical experience for other health care professionals.

Senior academic posts are the most senior of the senior lecturer posts.

For medical and non-medical health care professionals these appointments usually require doctors to have their certificate for completion of training (CCT), a PhD and at least 5 years' experience of clinical practice. For non-medical health carer professionals they are usually required to have a PhD, as well as having five-years experience post-PhD, for Clinician Scientist appointments or Senior Lectureships, each holding honorary consultant status.

It is possible to work overseas or in collaboration with industry at most stages of your academic medicine career.

For both medical and non-medical health care professions there are researching and funding opportunities for senior clinical lectureships, more information can be found on the National Institute of Health Research's (NIHR) website.

HEE/NIHR Integrated Clinical Academic Programme (ICA)

For non-medical healthcare professionals who wish to develop their career and combine clinical research and research leadership with continued clinical practice and clinical development, this SCL scheme could be for you.

The ICA scheme aims to facilitate the development of post-doctoral clinical academic research leaders for non-medical healthcare professions with less than 5 years' post-doctoral research experience. 

A senior clinical lectureship is a five year award and funds:

For further information on the ICA scheme visit the the NIHR website.



Make a comment or report a problem with this page

Help us improve