Starting a family as a doctor
These pages will be useful if you are thinking of starting a family or have dependent children. We provide information on maternity and paternity leave and links to benefit rights and information about childcare.
Watch the video of Dr Hannah Warren, GP, who talks about her experience of maternity leave and returning to work as a medical mum.
- gov.uk website information on maternity leave.
- Citizens Advice Bureau also has comprehensive advice and information about maternity leave and your rights during pregnancy
- as well as informing your employer, you must notify your local HEE office/deanery of your planned maternity leave dates.
- hospital employees should contact HR for information and support. You can also consult the NHS Employers website for information on maternity leave and pay.
- if you work in general practice you should check the terms of your contract
- gov.uk website has information on paternity leave entitlement
- Citizens Advice Bureau website also has comprehensive advice and information about paternity leave
- gov.uk gives advice about how to get help with child-care costs
- gov.uk has details on parental leave
The BMA has guidance for working parents.
You may find the following articles from the BMJ useful: