Entry requirements, skills and interests (facilities management)
The entry requirements will vary, depending on the level of the post.
There are a variety of entry routes into a career into facilities management. The following are general entry requirements. For specific entry requirements check the person specification for individual job vacancies.
- With moderate to high grade GCSEs and/or work experience
- With A levels/equivalent
- As a graduate
- If you already have management experience
You can join the NHS in a hospitality-related role such as a housekeeper or member of the catering staff and progress into roles at supervisory level, supported by in-house and external training schemes. For most junior positions, you will need 4 or 5 GCSEs at Grades A-C or equivalent. Employers may also consider applicants with fewer formal qualifications if they can demonstrate they have the right skills, for example, previous clerical experience. There are often opportunities to enter hospitality roles through an apprenticeship in a relevant area of administration.
If you have 2 or 3 A-levels or equivalent vocational qualifications you may be able to start at a higher administrative grade, leading to a supervisory role and then into management. Internal and external training schemes will assist your progress and enable you to apply your academic skills to work situations. Previous work experience can be an advantage. There are sometimes higher apprenticeships available.
If you have a degree or equivalent vocational qualifications you may be able to apply for junior management posts or join an NHS trust or other health-related organisation in an administrative role, gain experience of staff supervision and move on into management with appropriate training and support.
Some postgraduate qualifications are available that incorporate modules in facilities management.
We welcome applications from people who have already built up management experience in the private sector or in other public or voluntary organisations. You can often join at a level corresponding to your skills and expertise. Some managers are recruited directly for specific positions.
The skills and qualifications needed vary according to the type of post.
- Skills, qualities and interests needed Expand / Collapse
To work in facilities management, as a guide you’ll need:
- an up to date awareness of Health and Safety issues and appropriate legislation
- good organisational skills
- good communication skills
- ability to manage and motivate a team
- being able to work under pressure
- the ability to solve problems as they arise
- an understanding of finance and being able to manage a budget
- the ability to create and maintain effective working relationships
- to be able to sustain housekeeping supplies
- to maintain information systems
- maintain a safe and secure working environment.
If you're applying for a role either directly in the NHS or in an organisation that provides NHS services you'll be asked to show how you think the NHS values apply in your everyday work.
The NHS values form a key part of the NHS Constitution.
- Example requirements for specific roles Expand / Collapse
Here are some examples of requirements for specific posts
You would typically need:
- NVQ Level 3 Building Interiors, British Institute of Cleaning Science (BICSc) or similar level knowledge of Health and Safety & Risk Management procedures
- previous experience of supervising staff
- good people skills
- good verbal communication skills
- good written communication skills
- understanding of the role
- the ability to demonstrate a responsible approach
- a degree or equivalent substantial experience at a senior level in health and/or social care
- membership of the British Institute of Facilities Management
- working knowledge of Prince 2
- experience of implementing health and Safety policies
- experience of setting budgets
- significant management experience
- experience of partnership working
Always check the person specification for any vacancy before applying, to ensure that you meet the requirements of the role.