Working outside health
Are you looking to change to a career in health?
Did you know there are more than 350 different careers in health? You can work in the NHS, a charity or a partnership between the NHS and a local authority department, such as social care or children’s services, and there's a wide range of roles in private healthcare too.
Whatever your background, previous work experience or qualifications there will be a full-time or part-time healthcare role for you.
Here are just some of the reasons you may wish to move into healthcare:
- perhaps you are interested in working directly with patients or helping to support those staff that do
- perhaps you have knowledge you could bring to working in healthcare science; in a laboratory testing role, at the cutting edge of medical research or using and maintaining state of the art equipment
- you could work in a range of settings including hospitals, clinics or in the community alongside social care workers
- you may wish to use previous experience and qualifications in areas such as administration, accountancy or management
- or perhaps you would like to use your practical skills, such as catering, gardening or plumbing in a different workplace
Whatever you have been doing in a previous job or career, you will undoubtedly have transferable skills and experiences valuable to the healthcare sector.
Follow these links to further information to help you:
- identify transferable skills you could bring to healthcare
- find and apply for jobs in the NHS
- get professional careers advice if you are still not sure