Returning to the allied health professions

We know you already have the skills and experience to make a big difference to people's lives. We can help you on your journey back to practice and the job that you love. 

If you want to return to practice as an allied health professional (AHPs), you need to regain your registration with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). Let's see if we can help you on your way. 

Do I need to return to practice? 

If your registration has lapsed, and you have been out of practice for at least two years, then you'll need to register with the HCPC. If you did not go on to register once finishing your qualifications, then you'll also have to register.

You'll need to update your skills and knowledge before being able to re-register and returning to practice.

Updating your skills

The minimum requirements for updating your skills are:

Requirements for your profession

Your professional body will be able to let you know the specific requirements for your profession and the courses available.

Supporting your study

You'll also find that several universities and NHS organisations can help you gain the relevant skills and knowledge to get back. HEE can also provide funding for out-of-pocket expenses and any relevant course or appropriate postgraduate study delivered by universities in England which run pre-registration programmes for allied health professionals.

Register your interest

The first step on your return to practice journey is to let HEE know that you are thinking of coming back. They will keep you up to date with any new courses, funding and support that is available. They can also put you in touch with employers offering help. 

Follow this link on the HEE website to register your interest. 

Make a comment or report a problem with this page

Help us improve