FAQs about careers in the wider healthcare team

This page has some frequently asked questions about careers in the wider healthcare team.

Who works in the wider healthcare team?

There are lots of different roles in the wider healthcare team, including administrationclinical support staffcorporate servicesdomestic servicesestates services and support services.

You can find more information about careers in the wider healthcare team by visiting our explore roles section.

What do I need and where can I train as a healthcare assistant (HCA)?

You don't usually need any formal qualifications or training to apply for healthcare assistant posts in the NHS. Some relevant care experience, such as volunteering, can be really helpful.

NHS organisations in England and Wales advertise their vacancies on the NHS Jobs website.

To find out what sort of qualifications, skills and experience are required, have a look at the person specification for each vacancy. This will give you the details you'll need to decide whether you have what is needed already, or need to do something else first.

What cadet schemes are available in the NHS?

It really depends on where you live as to what is on offer. Cadet schemes may still exist in some parts of the country, but most have been replaced by apprenticeships.

Find out more about cadetships and apprenticeships

How can I train as a phlebotomist?

To train as a phlebotomist, you will usually need to be employed in an appropriate role in the NHS eg as a healthcare assistant or healthcare science assistant/associate and your employer will support you to do a part-time course in phlebotomy/venepuncture, while you are working.

What qualifications do I need for administrative posts in the NHS?

There are various roles in administration in the NHS, including medical secretary and receptionist, as well as, those in finance, communications/public relations and human resources, for example. There are also opportunities in management.

Some roles will require academic qualifications, such as GCSEs, or an equivalent level 2 vocational qualification. Others may require a degree or professional qualifications, such as in accountancy or human resources.

The NHS usually supports staff to develop their career further, so you may start at a more junior level and work your way into more senior positions with greater responsibility.

Many NHS organisations also offer apprenticeships in administration. To find current apprenticeship opportunities in the NHS, visit the NHS Jobs and National Apprenticeships websites.

Find out more about apprenticeships and traineeships in the NHS

How do I become a health play specialist?

You'll need to take a foundation degree with the health play specialism.

Find out more about working and training as a health play specialist.

Where can I find assistant practitioner courses?

You need to be employed by the NHS in order to be able to access courses and training relevant to the role of an assistant practitioner. You'll usually need experience of working in a relevant support role at a fairly senior level. So if you are applying for a vacancy as an assistant practitioner, you will need to make sure that you meet the criteria contained in the person specification for the post before applying.

Where can I find more information about careers in the wider healthcare team?

You can find more information about careers in the wider healthcare team by visiting our explore roles section.

Make a comment or report a problem with this page

Help us improve

This form is for you to tell us about something that could be improved about the website or if there's anything wrong, incorrect or inaccurate with what you see. 

If you have a query about a career in the NHS, please visit our contact us page and call or email us.