Healthcare science assistants and associates

Healthcare science assistants and associates support healthcare science practitioners, clinical scientists and others in a variety of areas of healthcare science.

This page has information on the healthcare assistants and associates, including entry requirements and skills needed. 

Working life

As a healthcare science assistant or healthcare science associate, you'll support colleagues across a range of healthcare science areas in the NHS. For example, you might work in:

In any department, you could be:

In some roles, you may have a specific title, for example:

Some healthcare science support roles have the older title of assistant technical officer.

Entry requirements 

There are no set entry requirements to become a healthcare science assistant. Employers usually expect good literacy, numeracy and IT skills. They may ask for GCSEs, or equivalent level 2 vocational qualification. You may be able to enter a healthcare science assistant role through an apprenticeship.

For healthcare science associate positions, you're likely to need A levels (including at least one science) or relevant level 3 vocational qualifications in healthcare science and some relevant experience of working in healthcare science.

Even where this is not specified, it would be an advantage if you have worked in health or social care, either in paid employment or voluntary work. Find out more about gaining experience.

It is important to always check the content of the person specification for any vacancy you're applying for, as requirements may vary.

Skills and personal characteristics

As a healthcare science assistant or associate, you'll need to be:

You'll also need:

Training and development

You will get the training you need to do the job. This will include health and safety and an introduction to the department and its ways of working. Some of your training will be specific to your job role.

You may be offered the chance to take qualifications such as the Pearson BTEC Level 2 Certificate in Introduction to Healthcare Science, if you're working as a healthcare science assistant or the Pearson BTEC Level 4 Certificate in Healthcare Science, if you're working as a healthcare science associate.

Other roles that may interest you

Is there anything wrong with this page?

Help us improve Health Careers

If you would like us to recontact you about the issue, make sure you are logged in before submitting.