Medical associate professions

The NHS has seen the emergence of new professional roles working within multi-professional teams as part of the continuing drive to provide safe, accessible and high-quality care for patients.  

In particular, four new roles are becoming an increasingly important part of the healthcare team across hospital and community services. 

Operating theatre

What are the medical associate professions?  

Each medical associate profession is trained in their specific role to provide patient care under the supervision of a doctor. This releases additional time for doctors to focus on more complex patient issues. 

A summary of what they each do below. 


Professional regulation of the medical associate professions needs to be explored as they become more widely employed in the NHS. The Department of Health is looking for your views on their regulation in the UK. More information on the consultation including how to share your views can be found on the Department of Health website

Find out more  

Make a comment or report a problem with this page

Help us improve Health Careers