FAQs about careers in the medical associate professions

This page has some frequently asked questions about the medical associate professions.

What are the four medical associate professions?

The four medical associate professions are:

Are the MAPs regulated? If so, who by?

Voluntary registers currently exist for:

There are plans for the General Medical Council (GMC) to hold statutory registers for these two professions from some time in 2023.

Healthcare professionals working as surgical care practitioners or advanced critical care practitioners will usually need to maintain their professional registration too (eg as a registered nurse with the NMC, ODP with the HCPC)

What are the most common NHS terms and conditions (Agenda for Change) pay bands for staff entering a role as one of the MAPs?

Physician associates usually start on AfC band 7 although can train through an internship on band 6

Advanced critical care practitioners, surgical care practitioners and physicians’ assistants (anaesthesia) are likely to be AfC band 6 while training, then band 7 once they have finished their training.

Can I progress from another healthcare profession to being a medical associate professional?

Yes, it depends on the role you are interested in, but is certainly possible if you have the right qualifications and background. As an example, read about Sara who went from being a nurse to a surgical care practitioner. You can also read about Antoinette who was a nurse and now works as a physicians’ assistant (anaesthesia).

Where can I find details of approved physician associate studies courses?

You can find details of approved physician associate studies course on our course finder

Make a comment or report a problem with this page

Help us improve