Cardiographers use equipment to monitor the heart. You could use your interest in science and technology to work with patients. Find out how you could become a cardiographer.

This page has information on the role of the cardiographer, including the entry requirements and skills needed. 

Working life

The heart and blood vessels of the body are known as the cardiovascular system, which is assessed and monitored within the cardiac department of a hospital. Cardiographers are healthcare science assistants and healthcare science associates who support cardiologists who are doctors specialising in the cardiovascular system. 

As a cardiographer, you'd operate electrocardiograph (ECG) machines which monitor the heart. You would fit electrodes to the patient's body, making sure they are correctly connected to the machine. You'd then take readings from the ECG which the doctor uses to make decisions about treatment. 

You may also be involved in other types of cardiovascular monitoring and treatment including: 

Cardiographers may have to learn how to use new equipment and techniques as advances are made and new methods are taken on.

Cardiographers work with healthcare and science professionals. They are part of the cardiac sciences team which includes anaesthetists, cardiothoracic surgeons, healthcare scientists, cardiologists (doctors specialising in the cardiovascular system) and specialist nurses

Cardiographers also have a lot of contact with patients.

Entry requirements, skills and interests

There are no set entry requirements for cardiographers. Employers expect good numeracy and literacy. They may ask for at least two GCSEs (or equivalent) including English and maths. Some ask for science as well. Some employers ask for A levels or equivalent qualifications in science.

Employers often ask for relevant work experience. Even where this is not specified, it would be an advantage if you have worked in health or social care, either in paid employment or voluntary work.

Personal characteristics and skills needed

As a cardiographer, you'd need to: 

You'll also need

Training and development

You will receive the training you need to work as a cardiographer. This includes: 

As part of your training, you are likely to study for the Award or Certificate in Electrocardiography from the Society for Cardiological Science and Technology.

Other roles that may interest you

Make a comment or report a problem with this page

Help us improve Health Careers