Compare roles in health

Not sure where to start with the hundreds of careers in health? Use our compare roles section to get bite-size information on the entry requirements and training, pay and conditions, prospects and skills needed of up to three roles. If there is something that you think you could do, then get more in-depth information on the role.

Don't forget, you can also save your role comparisons by registering with us.  

Previous Next


Cardiographers monitor patients' hearts to support decisions around treatment and any additional care needed. 

Training and qualifications required

There are no set entry requirements for cardiographers. Employers expect good numeracy and literacy and may ask for at least two GCSEs (or equivalent) including English and maths. Some ask for science as well. Some employers ask for A levels or equivalent qualifications in science. You will receive the training you need to work as a cardiographer. As part of your training, you are likely to study for the Award or Certificate in Electrocardiography from the Society for Cardiological Science and Technology.

Expected working hours and salary range

As a cardiographer, you will typically start on Agenda for Change band 2. It is possible to apply for more senior positions at band 3 or 4, after further training and experience. Most cardiographers in the NHS work standard hours, which are likely to be around 37.5 a week. They may work some evenings or weekends. Terms and conditions will usually be different for clinical support staff working outside of the NHS.

Desirable skills and values

As a cardiographer, you'd need to be able to reassure patients, operate machines, be interested in science and technology, follow instructions carefully, record data accurately, pay attention to detail, explain clearly to patients, work with all types of people. You'd need good technological, IT and communication skills.


As you gain experience, you could become a senior cardiographer, working with more complicated equipment or have more responsibility for working with patients. You would usually also supervise the work of other cardiographers. With experience and further training, and if you have the academic ability to do so, you could apply for an undergraduate BSc (Hons) Healthcare Science (Cardiac Physiology) - the NHS Practitoner Training Programme, enabling you to work as a healthcare science practitioner in cardiac sciences.
Make a comment or report a problem with this page

Help us improve