Compare roles in health

Not sure where to start with the hundreds of NHS careers? Use our compare roles section to get bite-size information on the entry requirements and training, pay and conditions, prospects and skills needed of up to three roles. If there is something that you think you could do, then get more in-depth information on the role.

Don't forget, you can also save your role comparisons by registering with us.  

  1. Clinical psychologist

    Clinical psychologists work with people of all ages on a wide range of psychological difficulties in mental and physical health. 

    You’ll need an honours degree in psychology to become a member of the Graduate Member of the British Psychological Society which allows you to apply for post graduate courses in clinical psychology. You could also be a clinical associate in psychology (CAP), a mental health professional who provides psychologically informed interventions under the supervision of a fully qualified clinical psychologist.
    Most jobs in the NHS are covered by the Agenda for Change (AfC) pay scales. While training, clinical psychologists will be paid at band 6 and after completing their training, they will be paid at band 7. Clinical psychologists in the NHS work full or part time. Terms and conditions can vary for employers outside of the NHS.
    On a daily basis you will use a broad range of skills, including a thorough knowledge of psychological theory and practice, an interest in how people think and behave and the ability to relate to a wide range of people including patients and colleagues.You'll need to be a patient, sympathetic and the ability to work on your own and in consultation with others.
    Clinical psychologists work in health and social care settings including hospitals, health centres, community mental health teams, Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) and social services. They often work as part of a team with other health professionals and practitioners. Most clinical psychologists are employed by the NHS, but some work in private practice. You could specialise (for example in clinical neuropsychology), apply for a supervisory or managerial role or go into research.
Make a comment or report a problem with this page

Help us improve