Compare roles in health

Not sure where to start with the hundreds of NHS careers? Use our compare roles section to get bite-size information on the entry requirements and training, pay and conditions, prospects and skills needed of up to three roles. If there is something that you think you could do, then get more in-depth information on the role.

Don't forget, you can also save your role comparisons by registering with us.  

  1. Public health consultants and specialists

    Public health specialists come from a wide range of backgrounds, including medical. Public health consultants are public health specialists who hold a post as a consultant.

    The main entry route is to complete specialty training in public health. You’ll usually need a medical degree, an undergraduate degree with a 2:1 grade or higher, or a Master’s degree or PhD. Eligibility criteria are updated annually and can be found on Health Education England's specialty recruitment website. Training typically takes five years which usually includes one year on an academic course, and two years in specialty training posts.
    Hours of work are usually 37.5 per week, although you may also be asked to attend evening meetings or events. Specialty registrars in public health have nationally agreed pay scales starting at around £30,000 and rising to around £47,000 per annum. Public health consultant salaries range between £60-100,000 or more depending on the employer and level of experience.
    You'll be flexible to cope with multiple and changing demands, meet tight deadlines and have a high level of intellectual skill. You'll have political awareness as well as an ability be tactful and diplomatic and be able to advise, challenge, advocate and influence. You'll be able to understand other cultures and work across organisational boundaries.
    Public health specialists usually complete their training so they can apply for a consultant post. Experienced consultants may progress to more senior roles, such as local, regional and strategic director roles for Public Health England or in local authorities.
Make a comment or report a problem with this page

Help us improve