Entry requirements, skills and interests (non-ionising imaging)

You'll need an honours degree in a relevant science or engineering subject to enter non-ionising imaging.

Ultrasound scan screening test

Entry requirements

To get into non-ionising imaging, you’ll need a relevant honours degree (at a minimum of a 2:1 classification or a 2:2 with appropriate postgraduate qualifications), and then apply for a place on the graduate-entry NHS Scientist Training Programme (STP).

Because of the extensive variation in degrees available, it isn’t possible to provide a definitive list of relevant degrees for entry to the STP. You need to be sure that you’ve reviewed the job description and person specification for the training (on the National School of Healthcare Science’s website), and the information on this page. You then need to be sure to match the skills and knowledge required to the content of your degree and the specialism you wish to apply for.

For STP positions in the physical sciences and biomedical engineering (which include non-ionising imaging), the most commonly accepted degrees will be in pure or applied physics, engineering or applied mathematics.

It can be advantageous to have gained some experience of working in a relevant environment before applying. Relevant experience may include but is not limited to: summer internships in either a medical physics or radiology department.

Find out more about the training you’ll receive and registration for a career in non-ionising imaging.

Make a comment or report a problem with this page

Help us improve Health Careers