Medical politics and ethics
This page outlines opportunities for working in medical politics and ethics, the skills you will need and how to maximise your chances of getting in.
What opportunities are there?
Activities you could be involved in include:
- strategy development
- medical ethics
- work with medical defence unions
- risk management
- attending and presenting at conferences
What skills and qualities do I need?
The following skills will be useful:
- analytical ability
- written and spoken communication
Studying a course in medical ethics or law could also be advantageous.
- get involved in local politics
- get useful experience through employment in Medical Councils, the GMC, the BMA, Royal Colleges and practitioner boards or committees
- show early commitment to representing others by becoming a BMA or specialty rep
- become involved with your NHS Trust in a strategy development or decision-making role
- teach medical ethics to undergraduate medical students
- have a relevant article published in a medical journal, such as the British Medical Journal (BMJ)
- Further information