This page outlines opportunities for working in NHS management, the skills you will need and how to maximise your chances of getting in.
What opportunities are there?
Managers in the NHS have a huge amount of responsibility, look after large numbers of staff and run services and departments within tight and accountable budgets. They often have to make difficult or unpopular decisions. Doctors who transfer from a clinical background to NHS management have practical experience of working in this setting and thus the benefit of credibility.
- What skills and qualities do I need? Expand / Collapse
- problem solving
- working well under pressure
- professional integrity
- team working
- commercial and political awareness
- Getting in Expand / Collapse
- represent your specialty or grade in Trust or local HEE office/deanery meetings
- consider leadership courses
- be involved in local or regional management programmes
- consider a postgraduate business or health management course or an MBA
- Further information Expand / Collapse