Entry requirements (environmental health professional)

Find out more about entry requirements for EHPs and the differences between England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland. 

There are different entry requirements for environmental health roles depending on the nature and level of seniority of the role. 

Environmental health professional inspecting dry goods

If you have GCSEs and considerable experience of working in environmental health activity, you may be able to secure an entry-level role (eg enforcement officer) in a local authority. More senior roles, are likely to require some form of training or further qualification. 

Anyone wishing to work as an environmental health practitioner in England, Wales or Northern Ireland must first obtain a degree or higher degree that is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH). All accredited courses in environmental health are currently listed on the course finder on our website. 

In Scotland, the Royal Environmental Health Institute of Scotland (REHIS) is the awarding body for a number of qualifications in environmental health. 

Find out more about different entry requirements for environmental health roles in England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland below.

Partner logos

Make a comment or report a problem with this page

Help us improve Health Careers