Entry requirements (public health academic)

Find out more about entry requirements for public health academics as well as brief details about registration requirements. 

Entry requirements will vary, depending on the level of the role.

public health academic

With a degree, or equivalent professional qualification, in a relevant subject area, it may be possible to join a grant-funded research project and work towards a postgraduate qualification in a public health related area at the host institution.

To obtain a first lecturing position, you would require a postgraduate qualification, or equivalent, in public health or a related subject, together with some experience of working in the field of public health, and preferably some published academic work.

To progress further in your career, you may need to acquire a higher education teaching qualification, and would need to develop a record of teaching across the subject area, a publication record in peer reviewed academic journals, and more extensive experience of working in public health.


Registration with a professional body is not required in order to be a public health academic. However, if qualified in a particular profession, a public health academic may be registered with one or more of a number of bodies, such as the General Medical Council (GMC), General Dental Council (GDC), UK Public Health Register (UKPHR), Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC), General Pharmaceutical Council (GPC).

Make a comment or report a problem with this page

Help us improve

This form is for you to tell us about something that could be improved about the website or if there's anything wrong, incorrect or inaccurate with what you see. 

If you have a query about a career in the NHS, please visit our contact us page and call or email us.