Skills and interests (public health nurse)
Find out more about the skills that public health nurses need.
Public health nurses require a broad range of skills, including:
- excellent communication skills
- project management
- analytical skills
- influencing and negotiating skills
- ability to work across multi-agency or multi-disciplinary professional networks
- good people skills in order to develop and sustain relationships
- problem-solving skill
- an ability to respond to sudden unexpected demands
- an enthusiasm and genuine interest in health protection
Public Health Nurses have skills and knowledge primarily at levels 5-9 of the Skills for Health Career Framework.
You might also find it helpful to take a look at our career planning section to think more about what and skills and qualities you have to offer.