Returning to a health career
You may wish to return to working in the NHS, perhaps after a break to raise a family, or after a career change.
Opportunities to return to practice depend on the area of the country you are in, your profession and how long you have been away. You may need to update your registration or undertake a refresher course. Financial assistance may be available, depending on your locality.
How has the NHS changed?
- there is a greater emphasis on teamwork which crosses professional boundaries to provide seamless care. For example, social care and healthcare professionals work side by side in partnership services
- a move towards more flexible working hours may make it easier to combine work with other commitments
- there is more support for professional development and learning new skills
What do I do next?
Contact the HR department of local NHS organisations. You can find local NHS organisation contact details on the NHS Jobs website
We also have more information for those looking to return to:
- the allied health professions
- a career in healthcare science
- health visiting