Compare roles in health

Not sure where to start with the hundreds of NHS careers? Use our compare roles section to get bite-size information on the entry requirements and training, pay and conditions, prospects and skills needed of up to three roles. If there is something that you think you could do, then get more in-depth information on the role.

Don't forget, you can also save your role comparisons by registering with us.  

  1. Old age psychiatry

    Old age psychiatrists provide specialist and holistic assessment, treatment and ongoing care for older people experiencing mental health problems such as dementia, personality disorders and schizophrenia. 

    Training usually starts with a five year first degree in medicine and two years of foundation training. You will then undertake three years of core training (CT1-3), followed by three years of specialist training (ST4-6). This period of training will include completing your royal college exams. Length of training can vary according to your circumstances.
    Doctors may work up to 48 hours a week. The working hours may sometimes extend beyond the normal working day to include early mornings, evenings and weekends. You’ll first earn a salary when you start your foundation training after medical school. The basic salary ranges from £29,384 to £34,012. Once you start your specialty training as an old age psychiatrist employed by the NHS, you can expect to earn a salary of at least £40,257, which can increase to between £84,559 and £114,003 as a consultant.
    You'll need emotional resilience, empathy and compassion with a holistic approach. The ability to empathise and show compassion are vital. Excellent communication and leadership skills are also important along with good problem solving, time management and decision making skills. You'll also need to be able to work effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team.
    In 2021, there were 529 consultants in old age psychiatry working in the NHS in England. In 2020, there were 57 applications for 60 training places. You could specialise or conduct research, teach medical students or postgraduate students in training or get involved in research at universities, the NHS or private sector.
Make a comment or report a problem with this page

Help us improve