Training, development and registration (radiation physics and radiation safety physics)

Your training will depend on whether you're planning to work in radiation physics or radiation safety physics.

Sign indicating X-ray and CT scanner

Training and development

  • to begin a career in radiation physics through the NHS Practitioner Training Programme (PTP), you will need to take a full-time (usually three-year) accredited integrated BSc (Hons) healthcare science (radiation physics) at university. At least 50 weeks of workplace-based training in the NHS is included in these programmes. 
  • if you're entering a career in radiation safety physics as a graduate through the NHS Scientist Training Programme (STP) you will be employed in a fixed-term, salaried training post and will study towards a Master's degree qualification in clinical science (medical physics) in the radiation safety specialism

Programmes are often supported by the development of workplace-based assessment tools, assessment of equivalent learning and the development of academic careers.

Find out more about the entry requirements, skills and interests required to enter a career in radiation physics and radiation safety physics.

  • Continuing professional development

    No matter what level you are working at, as part of your development you will be expected to do continuing professional development (CPD) to show that you are keeping yourself up to date with the policies and procedures in your area of work.

    Find out more general information about professional development

    Accredited Scientific Practice- development opportunities for healthcare science staff

    Accredited Scientific Practice (ASP) provides an additional route for your ongoing professional and scientific development as part of the healthcare science (HCS) workforce. ASP allows employers to develop bespoke, responsive, short course programmes to meet training needs within the HCS workforce. ASP programmes provide you with a quality assured, rigorously assessed qualification which can lead to voluntary professional registration with the Academy for Healthcare Sciences (AHCS).

    An ASP programme involves work based learning with academic study of modules from the National School of Healthcare Science (NSHCS) portfolio programmes. Access to an e-portfolio is provided to record learning in the workplace while associated academic study is completed independently through an accredited university provider. In some cases, completion of academic study may also lead to an award of a postgraduate qualification from the university provider.

    Read more about ASP on the NSHCS website.


    As a healthcare science practitioner in radiation physics, you can join the voluntary register maintained by the Academy for Healthcare Science (AHCS).

    Find out more about the Academy's voluntary register for healthcare science practitioners.

    To practise as a clinical scientist, you must be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council. You must also hold an Academy for Healthcare Science (AHCS) Certificate of Attainment granted upon completion of the MSC Scientist Training Programme or AHCS Certificate of Equivalence.

    Find out more about the Academy's Certificates.

    Please check individual job vacancy details for information when applying.

Make a comment or report a problem with this page

Help us improve

This form is for you to tell us about something that could be improved about the website or if there's anything wrong, incorrect or inaccurate with what you see. 

If you have a query about a career in the NHS, please visit our contact us page and call or email us.