Compare roles in health

Not sure where to start with the hundreds of NHS careers? Use our compare roles section to get bite-size information on the entry requirements and training, pay and conditions, prospects and skills needed of up to three roles. If there is something that you think you could do, then get more in-depth information on the role.

Don't forget, you can also save your role comparisons by registering with us.  

  1. Speech and language therapist

    Speech and language therapy is an exciting and varied career. It offers you the chance to make a difference, a high degree of flexibility and excellent employment prospects. You’ll work with patients every day to help improve their care and their lives. 

    You'll need to study for an approved degree, which takes three or four years full time or up to six years part time, or be employed as a degree apprentice in speech and language therapy with an employer. Full-time university courses in speech and language therapy may have different names, including speech and language pathology and speech science. To get onto an speech and language therapy degree course or degree apprenticeship, you usually need two or three A-levels (or equivalent qualifications), along with five GCSEs (grades A-C), including English language, maths and science. Each institution and employer sets its own entry requirements, so it’s important to check carefully.
    Speech and language therapists in the NHS work standard hours, which are likely to be around 37.5 a week. They usually start at band 5 of the Agenda for Change pay scales. Elsewhere, a speech and language therapist’s hours will depend on where they work. They may work evenings and weekends to suit private clients. Some speech and language therapists have to travel between client appointments.
    You'll need to enjoy using language and communication to help people, be able to motivate and reassure people, excellent communication and organisation skills and the ability to explain treatment to patients.
    You may choose to specialise in a particular area of practice such asstammering, cleft palate or learning disability. Other options include teaching or research. You could also move into management, either within speech and language therapy services or general management. As head of a local speech and language therapy service you would be responsible for a team of staff and for managing a budget. Some speech and language therapists set up their own practice, on their own or with other professionals. They take on private clients, sometimes alongside NHS work.
Make a comment or report a problem with this page

Help us improve