Compare roles in health

Not sure where to start with the hundreds of NHS careers? Use our compare roles section to get bite-size information on the entry requirements and training, pay and conditions, prospects and skills needed of up to three roles. If there is something that you think you could do, then get more in-depth information on the role.

Don't forget, you can also save your role comparisons by registering with us.  

  1. Integrated urgent care/NHS 111 roles

    You'll help and advise people with an urgent medical need on the correct action to take. Being a 24 hours-a-day, seven days a week telephone service for members of the public, you'll work shifts. 

    Service advisers: customer care, communication skills, first aid, prioritising calls, giving telephone advice. Health advisers: as for service advisers plus level 3 apprenticeship and using the clinical decision support system. Senior health advisers: as for service advisers and health advisers plus qualifications at level 4 and 5, using the toxicology database, health and social care, mental health, dental health (non-injury), leadership, mentoring and coaching, and support skills.
    Service advisers, health advisers and senior health advisers work standard hours of 37.5 hours a week on a shift pattern basis. Salary will vary depending on where you work and your experience, but service advisers are usually employed at Skills for Health level 2, health advisers at level 3 and senior health advisers at level 4.
    Service advisers, health advisers and senior health advisers need to work effectively as part of a team, be self motivated, be committed to lifelong learning, prioritise tasks, manage stressful situations and make sound decisions, develop effective working relationships. Senior health advisers also need to be able to demonstrate leadership and management skills.
    If you're not a registered healthcare professional, you can become a health adviser (level 3), a senior health adviser (level 4) or a team leader (level 4) via an apprenticeship or in house and role specific training. Once you're a registered healthcare professional - after graduating with an appropriate degree - you could progress to become a clinical adviser at level 5, clinical lead at level 6 or to levels above this.
Make a comment or report a problem with this page

Help us improve