Compare roles in health

Not sure where to start with the hundreds of NHS careers? Use our compare roles section to get bite-size information on the entry requirements and training, pay and conditions, prospects and skills needed of up to three roles. If there is something that you think you could do, then get more in-depth information on the role.

Don't forget, you can also save your role comparisons by registering with us.  

  1. Clinical pharmacology and therapeutics

    Clinical pharmacology and therapeutics doctors promote and ensure the safe, economic and efficient use of medicines to improve patient care.

    Training usually starts with a five year first degree in medicine. Then there's two years foundation doctor training, two years core training (CT1-CT2), followed by four years specialists training (ST3-ST6) leading to Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians (FRCP). Length of training can vary according to your circumstances.
    Doctors may work up to 48 hours a week. The working hours may sometimes extend beyond the normal working day to include early mornings, evenings and weekends. You’ll first earn a salary when you start your foundation training after medical school. The basic salary ranges from £29,384 to £34,012. Once you start your specialty training as a doctor in clinical pharmacology employed by the NHS, you can expect to earn a salary of at least £40,257, which can increase to between £84,559 and £114,003 as a consultant.
    You'll need excellent communication skills to manage a wide range of relationships with colleagues, and patients and their families. You'll be emotionally resilient, have excellent problem-solving and diagnostic skills and work well in teams and under pressure. You'll also be very organised for the benefit of patients.
    In 2021, there were 20 consultants in clinical pharmacology and therapeutics in NHS England. Many more work for pharmaceutical companies or in academic posts. In 2020, there were 12 applications for 14 training places. You could specialise in toxicology or cardiovascular risk management, conduct research or teach medical students and postgraduate students in training.
Make a comment or report a problem with this page

Help us improve