After graduating from medical school you will go on to begin your foundation training.
The foundation programme aims to give doctors in training competence in basic clinical skills and management of acutely ill patients as well as developing other softer skill sets such as team working and communication. It is the doctor's first job after completing medical school.
You will be expected to undertake the two-year foundation programme to enable you to work and practise as a doctor in the UK.
Find out more information about:
- applying for the foundation programme
- employment issues
- foundation programme support
- how to succeed in foundation training
- registration for doctors
- skills for foundation doctors
- medical specialty training including the interview and application process
Career Planning for Healthcare Professionals programme
The NHS has an e-learning programme for healthcare professionals including foundation trainee doctors, to help them make informed career choices and effective applications for their next career steps.