Training, development and registration (cardiac sciences)

The training depends on the level at which you enter your career in cardiac science.

Training and development

Your training and education will depend on the level at which you’re working:


As a trainee cardiographer, you’ll mostly train on the job, starting with general safety instructions and how the job role fits into the day to day working of the hospital. You’ll then move on to specialised individual training. Certificates of Competence can be awarded for the safe performance of various duties, these will help if you want to work in a scientific entry-level role in another hospital. You’ll be encouraged to become enrolled members of the Society for Cardiological Science and Technology and undertake the Certificate in Electrocardiography Examination.

Healthcare science assistant or associate

Once in post as a healthcare science associate or assistant you’ll work towards relevant healthcare science qualifications dependant upon the job role. These could include QCF or VQs and foundation degrees (or equivalent) while you’re working. These qualifications are underpinned by an awards and qualifications framework.

NHS Practitioner Training Programme

To enter via the NHS Practitioner Training Programme (PTP) you’ll need to take a full-time (usually three-year) accredited integrated BSc degree in healthcare science (cardiac physiology) at university. At least 50 weeks of workplace-based training in the NHS is included in these programmes. For the most up-to-date list of accredited BSc Healthcare Science degrees, please use our course finder. Applications for full-time courses are made through UCAS. Once qualified, there are opportunities for further development.

NHS Scientist Training Programme

If you’re a graduate entering the NHS Scientist Training Programme (STP) you’ll be employed in a fixed-term, salaried training post and will study towards a relevant Master's degree qualification in cardiac science. The are likely to be opportunities to gain further qualifications or expertise or both.

Higher Specialist Scientist Training

If you’re entering Higher Specialist Scientist Training (HSST) you’ll study towards doctoral level qualifications.

All of the above programmes are supported by the development of workplace-based assessment tools, assessment of equivalent learning and the development of academic careers.

Find out more about the entry requirements, skills and interests required to enter a career in cardiac science.

Make a comment or report a problem with this page

Help us improve