Defence medical services
This page outlines opportunities to work in a medical role in the armed services. You will also find links to recruitment details.
The Defence Medical Services (DMS) employs military and civilian doctors in many specialist roles to deliver medical support to the Royal Navy, the British Army and the Royal Air Force (RAF).
What opportunities are there?
- opportunities include both primary and secondary healthcare roles, rehabilitation and specialist medical care, and can be in the UK or overseas
- joining the DMS doesn’t have to be a long-term commitment. You could consider a short military commission as a part of your career development
- it is possible to apply at any stage of your medical career, although you should check upper age limits with the individual armed services
- Getting in Expand / Collapse
If you join the DMS as a military doctor you will join one of the three armed services, the Royal Navy, the British Army or the Royal Air Force (RAF). Each has a separate recruitment process. You can find more information and contact details for your nearest armed forces careers office on the websites of:
- Further information Expand / Collapse