Financial support for medical and dental students - England

Students on university courses in medicine (recognised by the General Medical Council) and dentistry (recognised by the General Dental Council) may be eligible for financial help from the NHS as part of their course. 

Funding for medical and dental courses varies between England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland. This page describes the funding arrangements for those studying medicine or dentistry on standard five year and accelerated courses in England.

Find out more about the system in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

The information here is for guidance only. In all cases, make sure you contact the relevant funding authority as regulations can change and individual circumstances vary. 

If you are accepted onto an approved course, you might be eligible to receive financial support from the NHS. The timing of when this is provided depends on the type of course you are doing.

Funding for undergraduate students on standard five-year courses

Gaining admission to the standard five-year courses means you are entitled to receive student loans from Student Finance England for maintenance and tuition fees in the first four years.

From year five onwards, tuition fees will be paid by the NHS Student Bursary Scheme and you will be eligible to apply for a means-tested NHS bursary to cover maintenance costs and a reduced maintenance loan from Student Finance England.

Students will also have access to a non-means tested grant of £1,000 as part of their NHS Bursary award.

Graduates on five year courses in medicine and dentistry

The arrangements for graduate medical and dental students on a five year course are different. In the first four years of the course, they would not be eligible to receive a loan for tuition fees or a maintenance grant regardless of whether or not they have previously received funding. However, students may be able to apply for a full, income based, maintenance loan from Student Finance England. From year five of the training, graduate medical and dental students receive the same support as undergraduate medical and dental students (see above).

Find out more about student finance (including Student Finance England) on the website

Make a comment or report a problem with this page

Help us improve