Compare roles in health

Not sure where to start with the hundreds of NHS careers? Use our compare roles section to get bite-size information on the entry requirements and training, pay and conditions, prospects and skills needed of up to three roles. If there is something that you think you could do, then get more in-depth information on the role.

Don't forget, you can also save your role comparisons by registering with us.  

  1. Dental therapist

    A dental therapist does some of the more straightforward work undertaken by a dentist.

    To practise as a dental therapist, you must obtain a degree or diploma in dental therapy and be registered on the General Dental Council’s (CDG) roll of dental therapists. To get on the course, you will need five GCSE subjects at grade A to C, plus two A-levels or a recognised qualification in dental nursing. You may also be required to have some experience of dental nursing before taking the course.
    Most dental therapists work standard NHS hours, which are likely to be around 37.5 a week. Your starting salary will be band 5 of the Agenda for Change pay rates.
    You will need to develop highly technical clinical skills. Dental therapists will often spend valuable time encouraging anxious patients to accept dental treatment which requires patience, and excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
    Dental therapists with experience can progress to become orthodontic therapists or practice managers, or move into research or teaching roles. If you work in a dentist's practice, you will be able to work independently without the full responsibility of running the practice.
Make a comment or report a problem with this page

Help us improve