Training, development and registration (clinical bioinformatics - genomics)

You can enter bioinformatics genomics through the NHS Scientist Training Programme or Higher Specialist Scientist Training.

Training and education programmes

If you get a place on the NHS Scientist Training Programme (STP) you’ll be employed in a fixed-term, salaried training post and study towards a relevant masters degree in clinical science.

If you are a registered and experienced clinical scientist, you can apply for Higher Specialist Scientist Training (HSST), where you’ll study towards doctoral-level qualifications.

Programmes are often supported by the development of workplace-based assessment tools, assessment of equivalent learning and the development of academic careers.

Find out more about the entry requirements, skills and interests required to enter a career in bioinformatics (genomics).

Continuing professional development

No matter what level you are working at, as part of your development you will be expected to do 'Continuing Professional Development' (CPD) to show that you are keeping yourself up to date with the policies and procedures in your area of work.

Find out more general information about professional development.

Accredited Scientific Practice- development opportunities for healthcare science staff

Accredited Scientific Practice (ASP) provides an additional route for your ongoing professional and scientific development as part of the healthcare science (HCS) workforce. ASP allows employers to develop bespoke, responsive, short course programmes to meet training needs within the HCS workforce. ASP programmes provide you with a quality assured, rigorously assessed qualification which can lead to voluntary professional registration with the Academy for Healthcare Sciences (AHCS).

An ASP programme involves work based learning with academic study of modules from the National School of Healthcare Science portfolio programmes. Access to an e-portfolio is provided to record learning in the workplace while associated academic study is completed independently through an accredited university provider. In some cases, completion of academic study may also lead to an award of a postgraduate qualification from the university provider.

Read more about ASP on the NSHCS website.


As a clinical scientist, you’ll need to be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).

Clinical scientists must also hold an Academy for Healthcare Science (AHCS) Certificate of Attainment granted upon completion of the MSC Scientist Training Programme or AHCS Certificate of Equivalence.

Find out more about the Academy's Certificates on its website.

Please check individual job vacancy details for information when applying.

Make a comment or report a problem with this page

Help us improve

This form is for you to tell us about something that could be improved about the website or if there's anything wrong, incorrect or inaccurate with what you see. 

If you have a query about a career in the NHS, please visit our contact us page and call or email us.