Entry requirements, skills and interests (clinical immunology)

You can enter clinical immunology with A-levels or after a relevant honours degree.

Entry requirements

There are currently three entry points into clinical immunology in healthcare science. They are:

With A levels or level-3 equivalent qualifications

With at least two or three A-levels, including science subjects and a good spread of GCSEs at grades A-C, you could apply for the NHS Practitioner Training Programme (PTP). This means taking an accredited BSc degree in healthcare science. Alternative or equivalent level-3 qualifications may be accepted by some universities, but you are advised to check with each university before making an application. Use our course finder to search for accredited BSc (Hons) healthcare science.

With a relevant degree

You can apply for a place on the graduate-entry NHS Scientist Training Programme  for which you must have a 1st or 2.1 either in an undergraduate honours degree or an integrated master’s degree in a pure or applied science subject relevant to the specialism for which you are applying.

If you have a 2.2 honours degree or better in any subject, you will also be considered if you have a higher degree* that is relevant to the specialism for which you are applying.

(*Higher degree as defined on page 17 of The Frameworks for Higher Education Qualifications of UK Degree-Awarding Bodies Please note this does not include postgraduate diplomas or postgraduate certificates.)

Because of the extensive variation in degrees available it isn’t possible to provide a definitive list of relevant degrees for entry to the STP. For STP positions in the life sciences (which include clinical immunology), the most commonly accepted degrees will be in biomedical sciences, biology, microbiology, genetics or biochemistry.

For all candidates, evidence of research experience (e.g. in the form of a higher degree or equivalent evidence of scientific and academic capability) is considered desirable.

For full details of entry requirements for the STP, including qualifications, scientific skills, transferable skills and physical requirements, please see the person specification on the National School of Healthcare Science’s website.

With experience as a clinical scientist

As an experienced registered clinical scientist, you could apply for Higher Specialist Scientist Training (HSST).

It can be an advantage to have gained some experience of working in a relevant environment before applying for a place on a course or job vacancy. You should always check with the course provider or employer to see what sort of experience is preferred or required.

Find out more about the training you’ll receive and registration for a career in clinical immunology.

Make a comment or report a problem with this page

Help us improve