Psychological wellbeing practitioner

Psychological wellbeing practitioners provide high-volume, low-intensity interventions for clients with mild to moderate depression.

This page has information on the role of a psychological wellbeing practitioner. It also includes information on the training and entry requirements for the role. 

Working life 

As a psychological wellbeing practitioner (PWP), you’ll:

This work may be face to face, telephone or via other media. You’ll work under supervision and refer on clients to a high intensity therapist if required. You’ll work with adults, children and young people from many different  backgrounds.

Where will I work?

You’ll work within an Improving Access to Psychological Therapy (IAPT) service which may be within a clinical commissioning group, specialist mental health trust or in the third or private sector. You’ll work closely with other healthcare professionals, such as high intensity therapists, employment advisers and other therapists and support staff. 


Psychological wellbeing practitioner training is commissioned by the NHS and delivered by local universities. It consists of one day per week academic work and four days supervised practice.

You need to apply for a post as a trainee PWP in order to access the training. See the section on 'Job market and vacancies' below.

Entry requirements and experience needed

Training places are open to either:

Experience of working with people with mental health problems is essential.

Other roles that may interest you

Is there anything wrong with this page?

Help us improve Health Careers

If you would like us to recontact you about the issue, make sure you are logged in before submitting.