Primary schools resources and competition
The Step into the NHS teaching resources are designed to raise students’ aspirations and challenge stereotypes.
Following a successful pilot in early 2018, Step into the NHS has launched resources and a competition aimed at students in years 5 and 6. The resources help students learn about themselves by encouraging them to explore the wide range of careers available in the NHS.
What’s it all about?
It’s never too early to get children thinking about their career and, using a unique multimedia toolkit, these exciting new resources and competition allow teachers to take their students on a progressive learning journey.
The toolkit is made up of five parts with the finale being a competition to celebrate and say thank you to the NHS. Teachers can pick and choose which parts of the toolkit they want to use to ensure that it suits both the teacher and pupils.
After working through the resources, students are encouraged to create a piece of artwork celebrating the NHS and have the chance to win a £20 or £50 Amazon voucher. All entries have to be submitted by 31 March 2019.
You can find more information about the competition in our video.
A snapshot of the learning journey
Everything you need to open the students’ minds to different jobs and challenge any gender stereotyping can be found in the activities and resources of the learning journey:
- Part 1: Before you Step into the NHS for pupils to explore who they are and learn about themselves
- Part 2: Step back into the NHS for pupils to step back in time and learn about why jobs may change over time
- Part 3: Step into the NHS for pupils to explore over 350 jobs in the NHS
- Part 4: Step forward into the NHS for pupils to look into the future, including their own
- Part 5: Competition to celebrate 70 years of the NHS for pupils to celebrate what they have learnt by producing a piece of artwork and/or writing