Entry requirements and training (design and engineering management)

There are various roles within design and engineering management.

The entry requirements needed and training will depend on the role you're considering. On this page, you'll find examples of these and information about skills and interests you'll need too.

Entry requirements and training

To apply for a post as an estates manager, you may need to have chartered status - for example as an engineer, architect, surveyor or builder

Chartered engineer

To qualify as a chartered mechanical engineer, you must hold an accredited honours degree in a relevant engineering subject.

Accredited first degree courses lead to the award of BEng or BSc and last three years. Courses leading to the award of MEng last four years. Students on BEng/BSc courses may go on to complete a further year for the award of MEng. Those who lack appropriate academic qualifications may progress through relevant education and training (eg. BTEC/SQA or NVQ/SVQ) programmes to complete the Engineering Councils Part 1 and Part 2 Examinations. Exemption from Part 1 is available for those who hold a relevant qualification such as HND/HNC in an appropriate engineering discipline.

Details of engineering degrees can be found on the UCAS website.

To get onto a degree course, you'll need at least five GCSEs (A-C)/level 2 equivalent qualification with two/three A levels or equivalent qualifications including maths and a science subject

In addition to gaining an accredited honours degree in a relevant engineering subject, chartered mechanical engineers must complete a period of informal training and experience. Then they must: complete a further period of professional engineering experience; successfully pass a Professional Review with an interview; gain corporate membership of a chartered engineering body.

For more information about mechanical engineering, contact the Institution of Mechanical Engineers

To qualify as a chartered electrical engineer, you would need to to follow a similar route to that described above for a chartered mechanical engineer. Fort more information, contact The Institution of Engineering and Technology

Chartered architect

To train as an architect will take you a minimum of seven years, which consists of:

To get onto a degree course, you'll need a minimum of two A levels/three H grades, with at least three GCSEs grades (A-C/1-3) including English and mathematics. Some schools may ask for three A levels/ four H grades and/or specify certain subjects. Alternative qualifications may be accepted. Check with individual schools for details. Degree courses are listed on the UCAS website

Qualified architects keep up-to-date by means of short courses run internally at their own firms, or by organisations such as RIBA.

For more information about becoming an architect, contact the Royal Institute of British Architects

Read more about the role of architects in the NHS

Chartered surveyor

There are three ways for you to qualify as a chartered surveyor through the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). All involve studying for a qualification accredited by the RICS. The RICS publishes a list of accredited courses. You would apply through the UCAS website for a place on a course. You must also complete the RICSs Assessment of Professional Competence (APC). The three ways are:

Candidates complete the APC by having on the job training; keeping a work diary and a record of practical training; giving a presentation; passing an interview.
There are two ways to qualify with the ASI:

For more information about training to be a Chartered Surveyor, contact the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors

Read more about the role of surveyors in the NHS

Chartered builder

Chartered builders follow a similar route to that described above for Chartered Surveyors

For more information about becoming a chartered builder, contact the Chartered Institute of Building

Make a comment or report a problem with this page

Help us improve