Personal characteristics and skills required (neonatal nursing)
This page has information on the personal characteristics and skills needed for neonatal nursing.
You might be responsible for babies with a range of health needs so being highly organised, flexible and able to prioritise effectively will be vital.
You'll also be highly observant, able to assess patients and take responsibility for determining the best course of action. You’ll also need:
- an empathetic understanding for the parents and other family members
- an interest in newborn babies
- a good understanding of the physiological and psychological needs of the new-born
- the competence to work in a highly technical area
- the ability to work effectively within a multidisciplinary team
Values and behaviours
If you're applying for a role either directly in the NHS or in an organisation that provides NHS services, you'll be asked to show how you think the NHS values apply in your everyday work. The same will be true if you are applying for a university course funded by the NHS.