NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme
The NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme is a fast-track programme to prepare you to work as a senior manager in healthcare.
The NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme introduces you to health service management, provides support to develop your knowledge and skills and gives you hands-on experience.
You can specialise in one of six areas:
During the Scheme you are employed on a fixed-term contract and receive a salary.
The Scheme lasts for two years (two and a half years if you’re specialising in finance). It includes:
- intensive foundation training
- structured work placements, training alongside experienced clinicians and managers
- an education programme leading to either a professional or a postgraduate qualification, depending on your specialism
- specialist management development training including support and careers guidance
Graduate Management Programme
The NHS Leadership Academy (which runs the NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme) has developed a Graduate Management Programme in conjunction with the Department of Health, Skills for Care and social care employers. The programme consists of a 12-month work placement with a social care organisation, including a secondment within a health care setting. You’ll also complete two qualifications, which will challenge you to develop your knowledge and management skills.
- Entry requirements and how to apply Expand / Collapse
You need at least a 2:2 degree in any subject. Degree-equivalent qualifications are considered. You apply through the NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme website where you’ll find lots more information and advice.
Entry is competitive. The first stages involve an initial online application followed by a number of online tests. If successful, you then have interviews and attend an assessment centre to check you have the necessary communication, numeracy, planning and analytical thinking skills.
- What happens after the scheme? Expand / Collapse
At the end of the Scheme, you apply for management jobs. Although a position isn’t guaranteed, prospects are good and there is often rapid career progression. The scheme will work with you throughout the programme to ensure you obtain a suitable role after the Schemehas finished. Read about some of the Scheme's alumni and what they’ve achieved.
- Further information Expand / Collapse
To find out more general information about the NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme, visit:
- NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme website
- NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme Facebook page
Use the Match me tool to see if the Scheme is right for you.
For information about the different specialisms: