Training, development and registration (radiotherapy physics)

Your training depends on the level you enter your career in radiotherapy physics.

MRI scanner

Training and development

The education and training you will take, will depend upon the level at which you are working:

  • to enter through the NHS Practitioner Training Programme (PTP) you’ll need to take a full-time (usually three-year) accredited integrated BSc degree in healthcare science (radiotherapy physics) at university. At least 50 weeks of workplace-based training in the NHS is included in these programmes. For the most up-to-date list of accredited BSc healthcare science degrees, please use our course finder. Applications for full-time courses are made through UCAS. Graduates with a first degree in physics can also enter through the PTP, by applying for an appropriate position with an NHS Trust through the NHS Jobs website and be supported to take the two-year part-time graduate diploma in healthcare science (with pathways in radiotherapy and nuclear medicine). This course is currently offered at the University of Cumbria
  • if you enter the NHS Scientist Training Programme (STP), you’ll will be employed in a fixed-term, salaried training post and will study towards a Master's degree in clinical science (medical physics)
  • if you enter Higher Specialist Scientist Training (HSST) you’ll study towards doctoral-level qualifications.

Programmes are often supported by the development of workplace-based assessment tools, assessment of equivalent learning and the development of academic careers.

Find out more about the graduate diploma in healthcare science at the University of Cumbria

Find out more about the entry requirements, skills and interests required to enter a career in radiotherapy physics

  • Continuing professional development

    No matter what level you are working at, as part of your development you will be expected to do continuing professional development (CPD) to show that you are keeping yourself up to date with the policies and procedures in your area of work.

    Find out more general information about professional development

    Accredited Scientific Practice- development opportunities for healthcare science staff

    Accredited Scientific Practice (ASP) provides an additional route for your ongoing professional and scientific development as part of the healthcare science (HCS) workforce. ASP allows employers to develop bespoke, responsive, short course programmes to meet training needs within the HCS workforce. ASP programmes provide you with a quality assured, rigorously assessed qualification which can lead to voluntary professional registration with the Academy for Healthcare Sciences (AHCS).

    An ASP programme involves work based learning with academic study of modules from the National School of Healthcare Science (NSHCS) portfolio programmes. Access to an e-portfolio is provided to record learning in the workplace while associated academic study is completed independently through an accredited university provider. In some cases, completion of academic study may also lead to an award of a postgraduate qualification from the university provider.

    Read more about ASP on the NSHCS website.


    As a healthcare science practitioner in radiotherapy physics, you can join voluntary register maintained by the Academy for Healthcare Science (AHCS).

    Find out more about the Academy's voluntary register for healthcare science practitioners.

    As a clinical scientist, you must be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council. You must also hold an Academy for Healthcare Science (AHCS) Certificate of Attainment granted upon completion of the MSC Scientist Training Programme or AHCS Certificate of Equivalence.

    Find out more about the Academy's Certificates on its website.

    Please check individual job vacancy details for information when applying.

Make a comment or report a problem with this page

Help us improve

This form is for you to tell us about something that could be improved about the website or if there's anything wrong, incorrect or inaccurate with what you see. 

If you have a query about a career in the NHS, please visit our contact us page and call or email us.